Kathleen A. Renfrew
147 McKinley Drive
Barnet, VT 05821
- Master’s Degree in Science Education, VT Science Initiative, Final Project- Science & Literacy, VT State College System, Lyndon State College, Lyndon, VT 2005.
- Master’s Degree in Education, Professional Educator, Final Project- Integrated Curriculum, Trinity College, Burlington, VT.,1994
- Bachelor of Science, Human Development, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA. 1973.
· Professional Learner/Collaborator 1973- present – A continuous seeker of new learning
· K-5 NGSS Science Consultant (details provided upon request)
· NGSS Curator – 2013 – present
· NSTA Learning Center Online Advisor– 2010-present
· K-5 Science Assessment Coordinator – Vermont Agency of Education, 2011-2014
· K-5 Science & Math Assessment Coordinator-Vermont Agency of Education, June 2008- 2011
· Teacher, Peacham School Grade 5/6, September 1997 – 2008.
· VISMT Teacher Associate, Vermont Institute of Science, Math, & Technology June 1997 – June 1998.
· Teacher, Peacham School Grade 5/6 September 1993 –1997.
· Instructor, Peacham Science Curriculum, University of Vermont, 1997.
· Director/Teacher, Peacham Summer Science Camp 1995.
· Instructor/Moderator, INTEC (online science course through the Concord Consortium ).
· Facilitator/Leadership Team, LabNet (an electronic bulletin board for math and science teachers of all levels).
· Teacher, Waits River Valley School, East Corinth, VT. Grade 4, September 1979 – June 1993.
· Teacher, Bradford Elementary School, Bradford, VT. Grade 4/5, September 1978 – June 1979.
· Teacher, Fleming Primary School, Flemington, Australia, Grade 3/4, February 1977 – May 1978
· Teacher, Wantirna South Primary, Wantirna South, Australia, Kindergarten
- Collaboration in Professional Learning Community with NSTA’s online Advisor program 2010 –present
- Writing NGSS –evidence statements and developing model content frameworks for Grades K -5.
- NGSS training – many different venues
- BCSSE Conference in Denver CO
- Translating NGSS with Renee Affolter & Dave White
- EQUIP rubric for Evaluating Instructional Sequences or Units
- What’s the Evidence? Constructing Explanations in K-5 Science Classrooms- hybrid face to face workshop followed by online PLC , face to face and ?? began May 2014-ongoing.
- Training as an NGSS Curator
- Vermont Science Initiative-Through auditing/monitoring MSP projects, I have received additional content and pedagogy.
- Attendance at National Academies of Science Virtual Workshop on Science & Literacy November 2013
- Vermont Professional Development Science Network Leaders Training , Summer 2005 –2007.
- Skillful Teacher Course ( very similar to formative assessment course, similar strategies recommended), 2006.
- NASA Earth Science Institute , UMASS, 2005.
- Differentiated Instruction (3 year summer course ).
- Critical Friends Training.
- Science Standard Setting.
- Teacher Associates Meetings 1997.
- Standards in Action Conference.
- Bridges to Mathematics (math content training for Everyday Mathematics).
- Teacher-Researcher for Continuous Assessment in Science Project.
- Discover Earth/Oceanography (2 week summer course ) .
- Advanced Inquiry Workshop (Exploratorium with Wynne Harlen ).
- Discover Earth, a NASA 2 week course on NSF research boat out of Woods Hole (July 1997).
- Science, Technology & Children/ Insights Train the Trainer Institutes, Northeastern University, MA.
Professional Outreach/Project Areas
- Facilitator of “What’s the Evidence? Constructing Explanations in the K-5 Classrooms” – a project that brought Carla Zembal-Saul and team to Vermont for an intense day of professional learning , followed by teachers practicing the new learning in classrooms or other venues as well as online collaboration to be followed by a follow up day of learning.
- Planning & presenting a series of K-5 NSTA NGSS web seminars in collaboration with Carla Zembal-Saul, Mary Starr and Ted Willard.
- Facilitator of K-5 Science Professional Learning Team-Plan and deliver professional learning for Vermont educators
- Collaborating with Achieve, writers of NGSS to create model content frameworks for grade 4 ad 5.
- Working to implement the Common Core in Mathematics and English Language Arts. (integrate and/or use the CC to leverage instructional time for science. ( current )
- As a Presidential winner in science was asked to teach a lesson in science to preschool children at the University of West Alabama. ( January 2011 )
- Member NSTA Outstanding Science Trade books Committee 2011-2014
- Vermont Professional Development Science Network Leader, 2004 –present.
· Field testing Math materials for Laura Candler, NBCT, a 4th grade teacher and author from North Carolina.
- NSTA District Director ME, NH & VT 2006-2009.
- NSTA Preschool/ Elementary Committee, 2006 – 2009.
- Annual Presenter at National Science Teachers Association Convention.
- Board member-former president of Vermont Science Teachers Association.
- Member Vermont Leaders in Science Teaching (VTLIST).
- Science Assessment Content Committee 2001-2002.
- Grade level Expectations Committees.
- Math Portfolio Network Meetings.
- Math/Writing Summer Portfolio Camps.
- VISMT Trainer/Consultant for Science, Technology & Children /Insights.
Awards, Honors & Achievement
· Elementary Teacher of the Year Vermont Academy of Science and Engineering, 2007.
- Exemplary Elementary Science Teacher Award from the Council of Elementary Science International, 2004.
- Vermont Elementary Presidential Science Award, 2000.
- National Board Certified Teacher-Middle Childhood Generalist, 1999.
- Featured in an article in Middle Ground (NMSA magazine).
- State finalist Vermont Presidential Science Award, 1999.
- Toyota Tapestry Grant, 1998.
- School to Work Grant to supplement Tapestry grant.
- 1998 CCSU Teacher of the Year.
- Featured in Vermont’s ABC’s of Education Documentary “Teacher Are Learners, Too “Broadcast in the Fall of 1995.
- National Science Teachers’ Association
- National Science Education Leadership Association
- Vermont Science Teacher’s’ Association
- Society of Elementary Presidential Awardees
- Council of Elementary Science International